Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day


It's "Thank You" day in my house-- a day which I say thanks to all the veterans and from a veteran "Thank you, America" for giving me an opportunity to serve this great, if imperfect, country.

My dad, in the b&w photo, was a man that existed mostly to me as a mythic figure. I finally got to know him a little bit late in his life (that's a long story, involving the military, the VA, and nefarious relatives)and I have never met a more humble man, nor one more devoted to his country, though he didn't quite know what to do about me since for nearly his entire life I had been a toddler. He was man whose memories were trapped in amber, locked into a time during the war and shortly thereafter.

I'd also like to say thank you to everyone who offered support and prayers for my son while he was in Iraq. He's back now-- safe and sound, but now waiting for deployment to Afghanistan. I'm hoping he doesn't go but he says, "Dad, that's where the mission is," echoing words I spoke to my mother in 1965.

So, thank you, America, and thank you, veterans, for giving me America.

2 comments:

JK said...

Thank you for serving and for your family that has served as well. I am very proud and supportive of our veterans as my father and grandfather also served.
You are much appreciated.

Bob Harrison said...

And thank you!