Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Fifth Ring Of Job Hunting Hell

Help wanted — jobless need not apply - Yahoo! News

"In 2008, Michelle, a 53-year-old Illinois resident with 19 years experience in information technology, became another casualty of the Great Recession. More than a year later, after a long and fruitless job search, she finally heard from a headhunter who thought she sounded like a great fit for a post he was looking to fill.

But when Michelle told him how long she had been out of work, the headhunter turned apologetic: His client, he said, wouldn't accept people who had been unemployed for more than six months. Michelle would go on to stay jobless for so long that she ultimately exhausted all her unemployment benefits, and, for the first time in her life, was forced to apply for food stamps and welfare..."

2 comments:

Gertrude Petty said...

It's quite unfortunate for companies to exclude the unemployed. Not only do they give undue discrimination, but they're also working against their own interest (as stated in the article, "shooting themselves in the foot"). Exclusion of the unemployed, I think, does not solve anything.

I myself was out of job for half a year, but I still retain my skills. Thanks to the reemployment services program I applied for, I got myself back on track. It simply shows that there are still a lot of talents within the ranks of the unemployed.

Bob Harrison said...

I'm sorry I didn't respond to your comment sooner but I just now saw it. I'm glad the job situation is showing some improvement for you; now, if everyone could find some help, then we might get the economy to humming again.