Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Comment Of The Day: Pro-Choice Edition

Komen Official Quits After Planned Parenthood Controversy - WSJ.com
here's my 2 bits...I "terminated" a pregnancy. I was 23 weeks along with my third child, when I learned that he had severe spina bifida. At the time the rules were such that you could not just have such a child take it's natural course, which in my child's case would have meant death somewhat soon after birth. My husband and I chose to terminate the pregnancy. At the time, our son would have had to undergo brain surgery, abdominal surgery and back surgery. At the time there was not a trusted form of anesthesia for infants. Basically they would have paralyzed him, but not anethesized him. God gave man a brain. Men/Women have used their brains to advance medical science. It is a double edged sword in that we have the ability to detect these birth defects even if we aren't yet able to successfully deal with them. We made a decision based on what WE thought was best for our baby, our children and ourselves. I couldn't have lived with myself knowing the trauma our son would have undergone had he gone to term and then been whisked out of our arms to go under the knife. Nature would not have been allowed to take it's course.
My argument has always been that if you take away the right to terminate a pregnancy you take away the right from everyone! Not everyone is an irresponsible teenager who somehow got pregnant. The variations on the theme are vast and no person should be able to make the decision for the mother and father of the child. So, I can say, Porter Clapp that " I had an abortion...it's the best decision I ever made and I have not regrets at all". AND, not only do I think it was the best decision for me, I truly believe it was the best decision for my son.

No comments: