Monday, December 03, 2012

Comment Of The Day: Entitlement Edition

The Big Budget Mumble - NYTimes.com
JBCassandra
New York City

NYT Pick

This kind of thinking just fills me with anger. Are you one those who thinks that entitlement means free gift? It does not. I'm entitled to my Social Secuirity and whatever other benefits come from that agency because I've earned them. I've been paying into the system for over 50 years, and I'm not letting any arrogant, overprivileged chart-readers take away anything that I'm -- yes, I'll say it -- entitled to. I've seen with dismay the retirement age pushed forward a year, probably by young policy makers who think work is going to be fun forever and that they themselves will never be aging. You try working a full week when you're nearing 70 -- see how far you get, and how much fun it is then.

Why don't they just admit it: Republicans are picking on Social Security and Medicare because they think its recipients won't fight back. That would be a wrong way of thinking. I belong to a demographic that has experience of life, knows a bad deal when it presents itself, is long past being willing to suffer fools gladly, and who takes voting very, very seriously.

Keep your statistics. Come on down and live a real life with the rest of us. I've propped up this society for decades with my hard work and, I hope, responsible citizenship. I sure as heck deserve something for my efforts, and what I'll get is no gift, it will be self-funded, American-style.

In reply to Spencer
Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:53 a.m.
Recommended171

No comments: