Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ryan's War

Tuesday: Paul Ryan and Class Envy « The Confluence:

"...I’m not sure where Ryan’s going with this “class envy” thing but recently, I have gotten really nostalgic for the 70′s, minus the bad fashion and avocado and gold color schemes. I grew up in an America where you could own a house and two cars on one measly income. I can’t recall anyone in my family moping around resentful of the rich. It would have been nice to have a college fund but it’s not like we were hungry, homeless or over our heads in debt. Every kid had their own bedroom and we went to DisneyWorld on vacation a couple of times. The rest of the time we went camping. Ok, so we had a single color TV and every time the sucker went on the fritz, my dad would swear he wasn’t going to get it fixed so that we could all learn to enjoy each other’s company.

That lasted about 72 hours.

When people are losing their jobs and homes and are angry that the rich aren’t paying their fair share, like at the level they did when I was a kid, I’m pretty certain it’s not “class envy” they’re expressing. It’s righteous indignation that they’re getting screwed by the bastards who aren’t even pretending anymore that tax cuts create jobs..."

No comments: