Monday, May 15, 2006

Saga of the Silent Protester

I missed this somehow:

Silent Protester at Rumsfeld Speech Comes Forward:
"Last week, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's speech at the Atlanta History Center was interrupted several times by protesters who yelled at Rumsfeld and unfurled banners, an event that drew national news coverage.

But in covering the speech, Atlanta Journal-Constitution columnist Jay Bookman also mentioned another protester:

'But one man took a different approach. As showdowns go, it wasn't exactly two gunslingers face to face on a dusty street in Dodge City. But there was drama in it nonetheless. As Rumsfeld stood at the podium, starting to outline his vision of the American role in world affairs, a balding man in a coat and tie rose out of the seated audience, turned his back on Rumsfeld and stood silently.'

My name is Randy Aronov and I am that silent dissenter.

Who I am is not important. What is important is that I am an American citizen who objects to the lies from the Bush administration that led us into the war in Iraq.

Turning my back to Rumsfeld was my way of showing my disapproval and my disdain for the policies of this administration, which so far has not been held accountable.

We've reached a point in our country where voting every four years is not enough to effect change. People need to become proactive. . ."

No comments: