Monday, May 22, 2006

On PC For the Enhanced...

and the leftblogosphere's tendency to wax too often with the fat slurs about the corpurlent Right.

Creek Running North: ". . .Holly mentioned in comments to the FAQ post that she’d like to see me in a moment of sheer incivility. She almost got her wish in this post. There is part of me that wants to react with outrage at the insinuations that obesity necessarily means weakness, most of them surely leveled by people who have never once flung a 60-pound jackhammer around for two and a half days. In fact, I will go so far as to invite any of the fat-bashing “Sadly, No” commenters to accompany me on a Diablo climb. It’s only 3700 feet or so total climb, and 13 miles. And it takes me five and a half, six hours to do it. Counting the usual half hour or so of resting that includes, that means an average speed of just over two miles an hour. Surely they can match that pace up all those switchbacks. And then back down. And then again the next weekend. With six or so miles run during the intervening week. That’s not much exercise at all. They couldn’t possibly have as much trouble keeping up with me physically as they would intellectually. Could they?" . . .

It's been a while since anyone actually made fun of my rotundness (at least to my face), but the self-conscious guilt of childhood will always be there. So why don't those fat people just quit eating? some may ask. I'll tell you why-- we're hungry. 24/7, 365. Hungry. Starved. For whatever reason. I've quit many bad habits; I excerise sometimes like a berserk tasmanian devil. I starve. It matters not. The weight piles on. So why I don't just quit eating altogether? Uh, well, why don't you just quit breathing? It's that easy.

No comments: