Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Rep Thinks Iraq Safer Than D.C.

Think Progress » Rep. King: My Wife ‘Is At Far Greater Risk Being a Civilian In D.C. Than An Average Civilian In Iraq’: "Last night on the House floor, Rep. Steve King (R-IA) downplayed the violence on the ground in Iraq, claiming his wife is taking a greater risk by living in Washington, D.C. King said:

'27.51 Iraqis per 100,000 die a violent death on an annual basis. 27.51. Now what does that mean? To me, it really doesn’t mean a lot until I compare it to people that I know or have a feel for the rhythm of this place. Well I by now have a feel for the rhythm of this place called Washington, D.C., and my wife lives here with me, and I can tell you, Mr. Speaker, she’s at far greater risk being a civilian in Washington, D.C. than an average civilian in Iraq. 45 out of every 100,000 Washington, D.C. regular residents die a violent death on an annual basis. . .'"

Other than being wrong on the numbers (check the link), that begs the obvious question: if it is that safe, when are you moving?

No comments: