Sunday, January 31, 2010

Powerless In Appalachia

No, I'm not talking about gun-clinging votes; I'm being literal. Therefore, expect sporadic blogging, not that anyone will notice.

We have been without power since 4:56 Friday afternoon. The storm dumped a foot of snow on us between 2:00 pm, when the first flakes fell, and midnight. At shortly after midnight I did my last check and there was 14 inches on top of a deck rail. After midnight, the snow turned to ice/freezing rain so by morning we had about 8 inches of snow and two inches of ice.

Trees cracked, popped, and exploded all night under the weight of the snow, but still it was nowhere nearly as bad as the Great Blizzard of '93. (Right, Crusty?) I've spent the last hour or so on the tractor scrapping the driveway, though I know we'll still have a glaze of impassable black ice in the morning. The Domestic Supervisor is out walking the fence line. We have a monumental clean-up job ahead, and, oh yeah, the basement is flooded.

But to borrow from the last scene of Full Metal Jacket-- we are still alive.

No comments: