Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Thug Confoundery

White thugs, black thugs, criminal thugs. That about cover it? | | Dallas Morning News:

Thugs.

Biker thugs.

White (and Hispanic) biker thugs.

White (and Hispanic) biker gang thugs.

Thugs. Thugs. Thugs.

Criminally anti-social biker gang thugs.

If this didn’t go without saying from the criminally anti-social, thuggish behavior Sunday in Waco, I hope saying it here makes someone out there feel better. I’m not sure I’d want to go to the apples-oranges comparison of Waco vs. Baltimore, but, again, whatever gets you through the night.

I’m certain I wasn’t paying attention the day we in the media were instructed to restrict our use of “thug” to black males. Had I noticed, I would have found it kind of stupid, since “thug” has a rich and distinguished history of describing “brutal ruffians or gangsters” of all ethnicities, back before cars or motorcycles...

No comments: