Thursday, May 18, 2017

DC Documents-- So Do We

James Comey and the Revenge of Washington’s Professional Class - The New Yorker:

...James Comey, the fired F.B.I. director, began his career as an associate at the powerhouse law firm of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. Later, during his years of government service, he routinely documented conversations with his superiors as a method of self-preservation. During the Bush Administration, he documented his resistance to the use of torture, which helped extend his career from a conservative epoch to a liberal one. “A showboat,” President Trump called Comey, last week, in defending his decision to fire the man. Perhaps, but one with the daily routines of a clerk...
I routinely "journaled" my conversations with superiors for many years, and in my place of employment I later discovered, I was far from the only one. In fact, that practice seems fairly common in all phases of government employment. We might no have had video, but we had ink.

No comments: