Monday, July 02, 2007

English Only

WorldNetDaily: Tancredo: McCain won't make English official: "Rep. Tom Tancredo squared off with Sen. John McCain at last night's debate between the 10 leading Republican presidential candidates, asserting the Arizona lawmaker's controversial immigration bill will not make English the country's official language as claimed.

The exchange began when moderator Wolf Blitzer of CNN, referring to Tancredo's 'highly publicized' remark to WND that Miami is a Third World country, asked the Colorado congressman if he would advertise his campaign in Spanish.

Tancredo said he would not.

'Believe me when I tell you the preservation of the English language is important for us for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is it holds us together,' he said. 'It is the glue that keeps a country together. Any country. Bilingual countries don't work, and we should not encourage it...'"

Yeah, well, we kinda, sorta speak English (just ask any Brit). What we speak is American, which is in a kind of permanent flux, so even getting a handle of how to define it would take a government bureaucracy the size of the VA. Can I toss my hat in the ring for Secretary of Language Purity? With my accent, I'm certain to be a hit in Connecticut.

2 comments:

the rube said...

they should take a look at quebec and their french only language law. businesses aren't allowed to have english signs etc and it's all enforced by the language police.

Bob Harrison said...

Did not know it had gone that far. I recall a few years ago when separatists were trying to break-off. I leave in an area that once was trying to be become the State of Franklin so I have the separatist gene I guess. Language issues can cause a multitude of problems and one is always easier, though I'm not sure one is always best.