Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Muslim In Dallas

ContraCostaTimes.com - WHY DO THEY HATE US?

U.S. has chance to lessen Muslim resentment: "LONDON -- RECENTLY, I found myself in Dallas, a place I'd never been before. As a Muslim writer, I felt about going there pretty much the way an American writer might have felt about heading to the tribal areas of Pakistan: nervous, with the distinct suspicion that the locals carried guns and weren't too fond of folks who look like me.

So I was surprised by the extraordinary hospitality I encountered on my trip. And I still remember the politeness with which one elderly gentleman addressed me in a bookshop. He held a copy of my latest novel, 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist,' and examined the face on its cover, comparing it to mine. Then, he said, nodding once as if to dip the brim of an imaginary hat: 'So tell me, sir. Why do they hate us?...'" (more)

No comments: