Saturday, August 25, 2012

Rapist Rights

Raped, pregnant and ordeal not over | Coffee Party Feminists | Scoop.it

In a rape case it is the victim, not the defendant, who is on trial. But blaming myself was neither my idea nor my first inclination. I thought such 17th-century notions were long dead. I was wrong. People who did not even know me were quick to comment or speculate on my rape. What were you wearing? Did you scream loudly? Did this occur in public?

It would not be long before I would learn firsthand that in the vast majority of states -- 31 -- men who father through rape are able to assert the same custody and visitation rights to their children that other fathers enjoy. When no law prohibits a rapist from exercising these rights, a woman may feel forced to bargain away her legal rights to a criminal trial in exchange for the rapist dropping the bid to have access to her child.

I know it because I lived it. I went to law school to learn how to stop it...

No comments: