Friday, January 13, 2006

God and Politics

Chicago Sun-Times - Andrew Greeley:

"Andrew Greeley
Friday, January 13, 2006
Bush defenders use tortured logic

I receive a lot of nasty hate mail from Republicans. When I filter out the venomous obscenity and scatology, I find a theory not unlike that of the liberal left on separation of church and state. Stick with religion, these irate folk tell me, and get out of politics. Clergy have no business expressing political opinions. I wonder what they think of the great political movements that have swept the country -- Abolition, Populism, Prohibition, Civil Rights, Reclaiming America -- all of which have had powerful and articulate clerical support. There was also, as best as I can remember, considerable clerical agitation for the impeachment of President Clinton, a sinner as opposed to our present God-fearing president."

...another posting from the "Having It Both Ways" Department

No comments: