Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Institutional Memory

Dave "Mudcat" Saunders: Only John Edwards Can Beat McCain - Politics on The Huffington Post: "...As I watched news coverage of Monday night's debate, the ever-escalating 'I know you are, but what am I?' fight between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton suddenly struck a memory from 28 years back. The feud between Teddy Kennedy and Jimmy Carter rushed into my mind like a horrible memory of an old girlfriend. My recollection of their self-destructive hostilities reminded me how their battles went a long ways toward giving this nation Ronald Reagan.

It was 1980, and the Democratic Party had two supposedly strong national candidates--one an incumbent president, the other a scion of America's national family. They were going up against a Republican Party that was searching for an identity and would go deep on the bench to nominate the host of 'Death Valley Days'..."

No comments: