Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Ryan Still Lyin'

Rules Of Distraction - Esquire
..."What they call a gimmick, I call doing your job," he said. "When I grew up, and I worked a lot of jobs, and I had to work to get paid. When I flipped burgers or when I mowed the lawn, I had to do the work to get paid."

Good god, what a fake. Let us recall the greatest hits of Paul Ryan's life, shall we? There were the Social Security survivor benefits that got him through high school. The local Wisconsin sugar daddy who greased the skids at the beginning of his political career, getting him a job on the staff of Senator Bob Kasten and guaranteeing that young Paul would be insulated from the Dreaded Private Sector. The wingnut welfare checks at the think-tanks. And now, going on 15 years as a member of Congress, with a guaranteed pension and single-payer health care, and three-quarters of the hedge-fund zillionnaires in America on speed-dial. This hash of a provision is going to pass the House and, likely, die in the Senate and, even if it doesn't, it's going to amuse some federal judge to cut it into origami before lighting it on fire. But it has served its primary purpose — which was to burnish Paul Ryan's image of himself. I've missed the guy. Truly, I have.

No comments: