Saturday, August 11, 2007

Liberal Draft

Taylor Marsh sums up my position nicely, though she is certainly not talking about me.

Democrat Taylor Marsh Broadcasts Live Talk Radio and Blogs Politics: "...After George W. Bush's incompetence, aiding and abetted by Republicans, the draft is something I not only think should be brought back, but instituted as part of American policy. Not everyone has to serve in war or on the front lines. But I believe everyone should be made to serve their country in some form. If we are indeed in a generational war with jihadist extremists then we need to prepare the country and the citizenry, but also educate our young people on what this war means to us all.

There is on caveat I'd offer. If we're not set on the heading of perpetual war, but willing to step back and institute musucular diplomacy once again, with all saber rattling and MADD talk off the table (sic). Of course, our military will remain the strongest in the world, even as we set our economic goals towards softer means of moving minds. That would mean economic development in countries where the unemployed male youth population is at all time highs; madrassas replaced by real education; as well as other methods of winning hearts and minds, instead of killing husbands, wives, sons and daughters while setting the world afire with American hatred.

However, in real time, the seriousness of what's going on in Iraq is being missed by a country who hears sound bites, but sees no bodies, blood or the true cost in Iraq. As for the loss of progress in Afghanistan, as well as bin Laden still being alive, as al Qaeda gets stronger in the border areas of Pakistan, few young people even care. A draft would certainly focus everyone's attention. In the circumstances today, I'm for it. Especially for chickenhawks like Mitt Romney who rail about how good the Iraq war is while keeping five, five, sons home riding around in a Winnebago, equating their service to soldiers."

2 comments:

the rube said...

isn't it funny how all the people who support a draft are no longer eligible to be drafted.

Bob Harrison said...

I'm too old, true, but my kids are not. I am consistent. I supported it during 'Nam, tho for a totally different reason than what I think today. In fact, I'm in favor of what is sometimes called "universal military sufferage," which basically says when you turn 18, irregardless of any of circumstance, you are in the military. I believe Israel still does this and France did at one time, I think. Don't know about the rest of the world, tho.