Friday, September 21, 2007

Unfair To Baptists

The Daily Dish: "...I wouldn't be quite so blunt. But for me, the evolution issue is very hard to get past. Those who believe that the earth was created 6,000 years ago and that human life has not evolved from more primitive forms are people I cannot engage with in civil discourse. To posit faith in things unprovable and unknowable is one thing. To posit faith in something demonstrably falsifiable is another. I simply have no tolerance for creationism or for those who enable it. Creationists are as much an insult to reasonable Christians as they are to rational thought. And they perpetuate the notion that religious faith is indistinguishable from idiocy."

The title of post was "Why do we diss Baptists?", which tells me someone (perhaps, the reader who emailed Sullivan the long quote in the post) does not know very many Baptists. The Baptists are all over the map in terms of Creationism and all its attendant ideas. There are quite a few other Christian sects who are generically deeper into "Jesus on a Dinosaur" than are the typical Baptists, who are being labelled as unfairly as "wingnut" and "moonbat" describe political belief systems. The key statement to apply the JoaD sect might be "primitive," which means they would logically fit in nicely with bin Laden and the so-called Islamic fundamentalists.

Full disclosure: I'm a Methodist, which most Baptists think of as "liberal." Bush is a Methodist, but not from any branch I've ever been near. I like quarks better than Genesis.

No comments: