Monday, September 10, 2007

The Long View On Global Warming

Praise for Netherlands' 200-year water defense plan to deal with global warming - International Herald Tribune:

"AMSTERDAM, Netherlands: With two-thirds of the Dutch population living below sea level, the country's government sees the risk of rising seas caused by global warming as a matter of life and death. So it's taking a long term view of the problem — a two hundred-year view, to be exact.

The Cabinet announced plans Friday for a new commission to begin preparing water defenses through the year 2200.

'We want to make sure that there's still a Netherlands a century from now,' Tineke Huizinga, the country's top water official, told state broadcaster NOS..."

I was stationed in Holland for a time in the late 60's and fell in love with the country. I've never been back, though I'd love to, but I will always have fond memories of the Dutch, the government, and their general disposition toward life, which seemed to say: "Show me a problem, and I will attend to it."

Hail, Simon Stevin!

No comments: