Friday, October 03, 2008

The Emotional Question

Remember all the ridiculous hoopla over Sen. Clinton having an emotional moment? That nonsense went on for weeks with the Three Tenors and others complaining mightly over her "fake tears"? I wonder what would be happening today if Palin had gotten emotional, say, over her children? Would blogposts be screaming "Palin Cries: Unfit For President"? I betcha the blogoswamp would be infested with little blood suckers repeating that refrain. Don't read me wrong here. Biden had a darn good reason to become emotional; under similar circumstances so would I. What I am talking about is not Biden but the nonresponse to Biden.

Frankly, I think it matters not, but for historical purposes if for no other reason-- here is the tidbit--

Tom Shales - Palin Takes On A New Foe: Her Image - washingtonpost.com: "...Virtually the only emotionally affecting moment in the debate came when Biden was talking about knowing the challenges of being a single parent. He choked up and briefly lost his voice when he spoke of not knowing if a child 'is going to make it.' In 1972, Biden's wife and daughter died in a car crash and his two sons were so badly injured that it was feared they would not survive, but they did..."

2 comments:

Faded said...

Okay, color me insensitive, But, like him or not, I thought the moment was contrived. And SO WAS Clinton's. These are hard ball politicians. They are terminators without the shiny skulls. They aren't tearing up without understanding the full ramifications of said action. I don't buy that shit for a second. Biden and Clinton don't shed tears, they have moments. Clintons fizzled on her because it wasnt done in the proper context (involving dead spouses and children). Still, I thought Biden was full of shit with his "moment". And Palin could have won some points with a reply that acknowledged the grief, contrived or not, but hell, she wasnt answering the debate questions as it was- she spit out another rote memory soundbite because thats all she knew to do, all night.

Bob Harrison said...

Oh, I don't know. Haven't you ever gotten emotional over something like that? In the moments after they took the flag off my dad's casket and lowering him down with taps playing, I couldn't have even said my name.