Monday, October 20, 2008

The Good Old Days

Who we are is who we were « The Confluence: "...Having an African-American president has been one of my biggest dreams just like having a female president serve in my lifetime. But I don’t want that president to come to office if he/she had to steal votes to get there. I would not feel a sense of pride in their presidency, in fact I’d feel the same way I feel about George W. Bush, that he/she was selected not elected and was illegitimately holding an office that was not chosen by the voting majority. Current Democrats are acting as if the only way of becoming a millionaire is to rob a bank. Of course this is not the only way to become a millionaire, but many in the Democratic Party have been infected with this ”ends justify the means” haka that desecrates our American ideals of respecting the sanctity of “one person = one vote.”

Not too long ago (but what seems an eternity) what filled me with pride as a Democrat was that we were on the “good guys” side. We defended civil rights, women’s rights, gay rights, voter rights, housing rights, etc. As a liberal, I want everybody to have a good paying job , a decent place to live, a good public school to send your kids, have a good doctor, participate in the American dream of buying your own home and for everyone to live a prosperous happy life living under a government that is for the people, by the people. While knowing that certain candidates did not have a full grasp to the needs of middle to lower income Americans, nor have the fighting spirit to defend them, I stood by my party for decades as they rolled out candidate after candidate who I voted for because I was a Democrat. I stood by them because they earned the majority of our party’s votes and because they had Democratic principles (despite that some of them were a bit “right-of-center” to my more liberal views.) I don’t feel that sense of pride anymore, I don’t feel that the Democrats are the “good guys” because the current Democratic Party morphed into the “enemy” and it’s eating its own just to win. It’s become the blue-tinged version of the Neo-Con Republican Party with an “O” instead of a “W.” ..."

No comments: