Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Raging Sexism v. America

Excellent post. Following is an excerpt but you should read the entire post at the link.

Tuesday: “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere” « The Confluence

"Martin Luther King Jr. said that. Liberal Democratic women do not seem to understand this statement. Basically it means that discrimination, disrespect, misogyny directed towards Sarah Palin is really discrimination, disrespect, misogyny on all women. It’s just delivered by proxy.

It shouldn’t matter what political party the woman belongs to. You have every right to disagree wih her politics. But it is morally wrong to cheer on the abuse that has been hurled at her, and let us be clear about this, the abuse has been specifically gender related.

She has been assumed to be dumb because she is pretty. The media has screamed and thrown a fit to get access to her for interviews and then proceeded to edit, chop and take her words out of context to reinforce their predetermined narrative. I’ve watched exactly one interview and have focussed afterwards on Sarah’s live and debate performances. Peeps, Sarah is not dumb. She’s got incredible political intuition and she’s a quick study. After 4 years as VP, she would be a formidable opponent to Hillary Clinton. If liberal women were outraged by the media’s treatment of Hillary, they are being hypocritical in turning against Sarah. The injustice is just as bad or even worse...."

Just as I loathed the treatment Sen.Clinton received from nearly everyone, I loathe the treatment Gov. Palin has received. Frankly, I think some of the activity directed at her should fall under hate speech guidelines and at the very least should receive widespread condemnation. But that will not happen because somehow my Democratic Party, the Party of good guys, fair play, and equality has become the thing it purported to hate-- a Party of hate where any slander is okay as long as it is directed at the opposition. Just as I refused to support the GOP for decades because of its policies and behavior, I can refuse to support this new Democratic Party. My support will go to those politicians who act responsibly and have policies I can at least tolerate. My support will be based on their actions, not their promises.

And I vote will my ballot and with my bucks.

2 comments:

Faded said...

"bucks" ?! O' the racism! aaagh

Oh, and Howdy, Bob!

Bob Harrison said...

Astute as always, Fade! Deer everywhere are fawning over my post, I hear.