Sunday, March 21, 2010

Choices, No Choices On HC And Policy

Health Care Reform: Women Will Walk « The Confluence: "...But the thing that really ticks me off is that American women are about to lose their freedom to worship (or not) as they choose. To me, one of the most egregious things in this bill is the way that women are treated. When we are considered at all, our reproductive health seems to be in a special category, one where a bunch of old guys in red beanies and pointy hats, have the final say as to what is or isn’t acceptable. If the Senate bill passes, it will perfectly acceptable to force women to identify themselves as considering abortion as a healthcare option when they sign up for insurance. It’s to shame them. No, no, don’t try to sugar coat this. That is the intention. To keep abortion as a shameful procedure.

I can just hear the anti-choice crowd now. “Why should we pay for something that’s going to offend our consciences?” Jeez, I dunno. Why do I have to pay for faith based initiatives? How about we pass a separate bill that requires all of the religious people out there to write separate checks to cover church based charities that discriminate against the gay community or actively practice discrimination in their church hierarchy? That kind of crap really frosts my crockies and offends my conscience down to the quick but I still have to pay for it. There is no little box on the tax return form that says, “Would you like to make a donation to faith based initiatives? Or war in Iraq? Or TARP?” No, all of the stupid laws and bills and war resolutions that have passed in the past decade because it was possible to fool most of the people enough of the time have cost me and my cohort and we have had very little choice in the matter. A Republican dictator president wielded his veto pen like it was a baton and threatened to use it with relish. We just had to go along with it..."

No comments: