Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ghosts Of My Lai Past

Convicted US soldier apologises for My Lai massacre - Americas, World - The Independent: "The only US Army officer convicted over the 1968 massacre of Vietnamese civilians at My Lai made an extraordinary public apology while speaking to a small group near the military base where he went on trial.

William Calley, who has long shied away from publicity and routinely turned down journalists' requests for interviews about My Lai, broke his long silence after accepting a long-time friend's invitation to speak at a meeting of a local community club..."

I remember him as red-headed teenager; I knew people in the area when the massacre happened. I knew some folks involved in the, er, "confusion" that followed the event. What I know for sure about it is that there is never a simple answer to the question "Why?"

No comments: