Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In Other Shoes

Balls and Walnuts - more than you ever wanted to know » In extremis: the case of Anna Pou, M.D.: ". . .Anna Pou, M.D., is an ENT (ear, nose, and throat doc) who, during the Katrina debacle, volunteered to stay behind to provide basic services to the patients of Mercy Hospital. Last month, Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti had Dr. Pou and nurses Lori L. Budo and Cheri Landry booked with four counts of second-degree murder. They are accused of euthanizing patients with morphine and Versed (midazolam).

Kevin, M.D. has excellent coverage of the story. Suffice it to say that the facts of the case are unclear, so (in my opinion) the more savvy commentators are reserving judgment.

I’d like to give you my thoughts on this as an ENT and as someone who has worked at a County Hospital under less than ideal circumstances.

Mind you, I don’t pretend my experience comes anywhere close to the horrors of Mercy Hospital, but I do think I have enough street cred to tell you one thing: if you weren’t there, if you didn’t put in your time, shut the hell up. Judge not, etc. . ."

Amen.

No comments: