Sunday, August 06, 2006

New GOP Strategy: Reefer Madness

Legalizing Marijuana - A New Republican Strategy? : Indybay: "Legalizing Marijuana - A New Republican Strategy?
By Mike Rhodes

The attractive young woman says to me, 'would you sign our petition to legalize marijuana?' I don’t have to think twice and say 'sure, where do I sign?' That is when it got interesting. She says, 'Do you have your ID with you?' 'Well, yes I do, but what does that have to do with...' I say as she responds with 'oh, we just have to verify your ID.' Thinking that this has something to do with making sure they have valid names for a ballot initiative I comply.

As I’m filling out my name and address on the petition I notice that the young lady is filling out a very official looking form. Probably just the ballot initiative form, I think to myself. Then, she says 'is it OK if I register you as a Republican?' 'What?!?' I say 'yes, I do mind! What are you doing?' She says that if I register Republican she will get an extra 10 cents. But, I complain, 'I don’t want to re-register.' She explains that this is just to update the records for the County Clerks office. I repeat that 'I do not want or need to update my records.' I am repeatedly told that it is OK and that they just want to update my voter registration records. She also tells me that she is working for the Republican party, being paid hourly, and that the ploy about the "10 cent bonus" was not accurate. . ."

No comments: