Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Pulpit:Last Refuge of a Scoundrel

The Smirking Chimp: "Robert Weitzel: 'American atheists: The only unelectable minority'

'No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.'
- - George H. W. Bush

According to a report in the Lancaster New Era, our Evangelical and truth challenged president, George W. Bush, told a gathering of Old Order Amish, 'I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job.'

Born-again Christian Tom Delay, ex-Representative and former House Majority Leader, was arguably one of the most powerful--and most ethically challenged--politicians in Washington. He is currently under indictment in Texas for money laundering in violation of campaign finance laws. Like Bush, DeLay gives credit to the Lord. 'God is using me all the time . . . to stand up for a biblical worldview in everything that I do . . . He is training me.'

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is a member of the National Presbyterian Church in Washington D.C. and a champion of the Religious Right's agenda. In September 2005 the group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, identified him as one of the thirteen most 'corrupt' members of Congress. . ."

No comments: