Friday, May 23, 2008

Do Something Different

Sick of gas prices? Think it might go to $20 a gallon? So instead of subsidizing oil companies and spending trillions in Iraq, shouldn't the government be subsidizing the move to electric cars, which, if push comes to shove, can be fueled by increased nuclear power (yeah, I know, you prefer coal-- or maybe just freezing in the cold and dark.) Remember that definition of insanity? Well, our dependence on oil, both domestic and foreign, is not working out to the betterment of our citizenry and probably not to the world as a whole either. Following is just one of many ideas:

Home - Ultra Capacitor - Super Capacitors - Super Battery? - Ultra Capacitor - Super Capacitors - Super Battery?

"...Let’s go back to 1993 when United States President Bill Clinton challenged US automakers to “Think Different”: President Clinton was surrounded by the CEO’s of General Motors, Chrysler, and Ford and he said that the US Government was going to help build cars with better fuel efficiency. He said that their research would lead to production of prototypes vehicles capable of up to three times greater fuel efficiency, for example, “radical new concepts such as fuel cells and advanced energy storage systems such as ultracapacitors, to produce more fuel-efficient cars that are affordable, meet or exceed current safety standards and retain the performance and comfort available today.”

TODAY.. Fifiteen years after President Clinton’s announcement, ultracapacitors are becoming more mainstream as engineers are now taking a second look at alternative energy engineering. Ultracapacitors outperform batteries in several key parameters such as power density, cycle life and temperature sensitivity..."

I'll take one of these (if anyone's buying, or I could buy it myself if I had $30k lying around or maybe if I had some sort of government incentive...)

4 comments:

billy pilgrim said...

think of the landfills after 100 years if battery powered cars take over.

ride a bike, ride a bike, ride a bike.

Bob Harrison said...

I'd love to bike but I work on the other side of a mountain--12 miles up then 12 miles down so that won't work for me. The landfill issue is thorny but tech like the ultracapacitor can help solve it, The battery issue is the key one thwarting electric cars methinks.

C.J. said...

Just put a deposit on a Prius myself. Work too far away to bike it. No mass transit option here either.

Regular car batteries are recycled. I would think the electric car batteries could be too.

Bob Harrison said...

One of my friends has a Prius and she really likes it. In my area we're pretty much limited to the Big Three now--unless you like driving an hour to have your car worked on. I would like to trade for something that gets mileage but I can't afford to right now.

I do think we can do some things with recycling so I'm definitely with you there. I'm more concerned about pollution at the beginning of a battery's life than at the end.