Wednesday, May 07, 2008

A Good Question

Why Did Obama Do Worse in N.C. Than Virginia? - TalkLeft: The Politics Of Crime

"Obama won Virginia by 28 points and North Carolina by 14. What's different, given the similar voter demographics?

Using exit poll data here and here from the NY Times, TwinMom shows the percentages of white men, white women, black men and black women voters were very similar but the results were not:

  • In Virginia, Obama won 67% of White Men. In North Carolina only 40%
  • In Virginia, Obama won 45% of White Women , in North Carolina only 33%.
  • In Virginia, Obama won 93% of Black Men and 85% of Black Women. In North Carolina, he won 91% of Black Men and Black Women..."

3 comments:

billy pilgrim said...

this black and white deal has to be skewed.

all the half black and half white people are counted as black almost all of the time.

Howling Latina said...

The reason he did worse in NC is because the more people get to know both Bo and his over-the-top supporters, the more they dislike him.

Bob Harrison said...

Leo-- I have some relatives who are dark enough to pass for black, if it were just skin tone. Think it must have more to do with what group you want to identify with. The Native Americans have a special tribe just to handle people who want to be Indians-- Wannabees.

Latina-- I could support O's programs I think if I could find details on one. But I can't support his supporters. If I'm there, there's a bunch of people with me, so I guess it's four more years of Bush. Beats the alternative.