Wednesday, July 16, 2008

New Holiday Proposed

If you endorse the idea of a holiday honoring Native Americans, go to this site and sign the petition. (For all you petioners, observe how the signee is treated at every step of the process and how careful they are in handling verification. Signing some petitions means instant spam-- I don't think it will happen here.)

I really like their prosposal, though I have always considered Thanksgiving a Native American holiday, probably due to the cultural mix of Scots-Irish and Cherokees in the local area, so one solution is to designate Thanksgiving as a Native American holiday, and yes, I get the irony of that proposal. The petition site endorses changing Columbus Day, which would be all right with me, though there would be a great deal of resistance to that.

The best solution is a new holiday, but the GOP will be guaranteed to trot out the arguments over how much that will cost us. So what? The U.S., I would wager, has fewer mandatory holidays than any other industrialized nation.

Words matter. But deeds matter more. Go here: NATIONAL HOLIDAY FOR NATIVE AMERICANS Petition

No comments: