Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Local Observation

Democratic candidate Heath Shuler won my local district-- I'd say for a whole host of different reasons. Iraq, as elsewhere, was a concern, but there were other things on voters' minds, with the locals tracking very close to what national exit polls showed.

One factor was different from any election I've ever witnessed-- Republicans were passing out campaign literature for Democrats. Not everywhere and not all the time but I saw and heard enough about it to believe there was something to the story, and I had some stuff handed to me by someone I'm fairly sure is a registered Republican. Is this, and I sure hope I'm right here, an indication that we're going to make it past all the blinding, partisan bile that has been streaming from the far Right and infecting the entire GOP? I hope so; I used to really enjoy having civilized political debates with my Republican friends, something I have been very, very reluctant to even try with the acidic, pervasive influence of Rove the Merciless corrupting every form of communication in the nation.

No comments: